Michigan Over The Road Jobs

With Michigan's two distinct peninsulas and hundreds of diverse communities, it should come as no surprise that the trucking industry is prominent in this state. Michigan truck drivers are responsible for transporting goods throughout the state as well as bringing loads to other states. If you become an over-the-road truck driver, you can expect to spend most of your time driving to other states or remote parts of Michigan. If you're ready to drive long distances and become familiar with a tractor-trailer, learn more about becoming an OTR driver!

In Michigan, OTR drivers' salaries are on par with the national average. O*Net indicates that the average salary for a truck driver is $37,500 per year. Most truckers earn between $25,200 and $55,400 per year (O*Net, 2013).

The job outlook in Michigan is fairly promising. Between 2010 and 2020, O*Net expects an 11% increase in truck driving job openings. This growth may lead to an impressive 1,500 new jobs per year (O*Net, 2010).

There are many companies in Michigan that hire over-the-road truck drivers. Some of the largest employers in this state include A & R Transport, C.R. England, West Side Transport, and Werner Enterprises.

Featured Michigan Trucking Jobs
Vacation Pay, $1,000 per week MINIMUM Guaranteed pay for 1st 4 weeks, 401k/profit sharing plan, Medical, dental, and vision insurance, Flights/Car Rental, Single rooms and all meals at Orientation covered
Vacation Pay, New Upside Pay program: 23 percent or CPM - whatever earns YOU more!, 401k/profit sharing plan, Medical, dental, and vision insurance, Flights/Car Rental, Single rooms and all meals at Orientation covered
Tons of Regional Lanes and Super Regional Lanes, $250 Paid Orientation for Regional CDL A Drivers, Safety and Production Bonuses, Late Model Trucks
Weekly Pay, Flexible Home Time, Paid Vacation, Health Benefits, Bonus Incentives
Sign On Bonuses vary by job and range from $2,000-$5,000!, Life Insurance, Disability and 401k - Plus Company Match , Paid Vacation, Family Owned, Driver Focused , Heath, Dental, and Vision Insurance, In Cab Internet Access
Top Pay, Orientation & Training Pay, Driver & Family Focused, Late Model, CSA Friendly Equipment, 401K & Full Health Coverage, Tarp/OD/Hazmat Additional Pay

Before you can start looking into trucking companies and available jobs in your area, you should look into trucking schools in your area. Government job agencies, technical schools, and trucking companies may offer Class A and Class B training programs. Since you want to drive over-the-road, a Class A license may be the better choice for you. Class A drivers can drive larger trucks and transport larger loads. Plan on spending about six weeks in trucking school. Many OTR skills are taught in these courses, from loading a truck to providing proper documentation to authorities.

After you complete the classroom part of your training, you must go to the Secretary of State and take a written test. Passing the written test allows you to get a temporary instruction permit. With your learner's permit, you can practice driving with the assistance of a licensed commercial driving instructor.

Once you've completed all of your training hours and you feel confident about your driving skills, you can schedule an on-the-road skills examination. These tests are administered by third-party testing sites, so you may have to look around to find a local testing location. Passing your skills exam allows you to get your CDL.