Scholarships and Grants for Truck Driving School
Are there scholarships or grants available for trucking school?
Coming up with the money to go to school can be intimidating, even if you know that it’s a great investment that can change your future. Luckily, the field of trucking has a significant shortage of drivers. Because of how rapidly this industry is growing, many organizations and employers hope to make trucking school more accessible to interested students.
Depending on where you live and where you plan on attending school, you may be able to apply for different truck driving scholarships. Select your state from the CDL schools menu below, then contact the trucking schools that interest you to learn more about available scholarship information.
Trucking Jobs Near You
Where to Find Trucking Scholarships or Grants for Truck Driving School
Though there are quite a few national trucking scholarship opportunities, you may want to start your search on a local level. Most states have their own trucking associations, and quite a few urban areas even have city-specific associations. By contacting these associations and joining as a student member as you prepare for your education, you may be able to apply for their scholarships.
For example, the Minnesota Trucking Association has a Truck Driving School Fund, from which they award one or more scholarships each year. Your state may have similar options, so you should find out what they are by using our school finder below.
On top of local trucking associations, you may want to contact your specific school for financial aid opportunities. Some schools have sizable scholarship funds that they use for incoming students. These scholarships tend to go pretty quickly, so you may want to start applying as soon as you get accepted to a school. The same goes for grants to truck driving school, they tend to go fast so if up to you to take some initiative.
National Trucking Scholarships
Throughout the United States, you’ll find a variety of national trucking associations and organizations that financially support trucking students. Remember, students from all over the country are applying for these scholarships, so it’s important to put your best foot forward and be competitive in your application and/or essay.
- Women in Trucking Foundation Scholarship: As suggested by the name of this foundation, this scholarship is only open to female trucking students, due to the industry’s need for more female drivers. This scholarship is based on financial need and desire to work in the trucking industry. The award is worth $500 to $2,000 per student.
- Truckload Carriers Association Scholarship: This scholarship is worth up to $6,000 per student.
Improving Your Chances For Trucking Scholarships
Many scholarship programs are very competitive. Being prepared ahead of time can help you boost your chances and do everything you can to earn money for school. Use these tips as you apply for trucking scholarships, both locally and nationally:
- Fill out the FAFSA. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid determines your eligibility for federal funds. Many scholarship and grant programs require you to have a FAFSA on file before you can be considered. You can typically file your FAFSA each January for the upcoming school year.
- Be clear about your goals. If you have to write an essay for your scholarship applications, you want to make it clear that you are in this “for the long haul.” Think about what a career in trucking could do for you, for your family, and for the industry.
- Apply early. Though you can wait until the last minute to apply, that’s not a great use of your time. Instead, apply as early as you can. This gives you time to consider your essay and make it as strong as possible before you submit it.
Trucking driving scholarships can help you reach your career goals. Find out what scholarship opportunities are available near you today by contacting schools in your area.